Sign up and Training sessions are held bi-yearly in Spring and Fall for individual volunteers. Contact us for days and times at 701.857.4166.
Animal Diet Preparation
buildings and grounds
story time program
Giraffe Feeding station Assistant
Goat encounter program
Education Program Assistance
- Being part of the Roosevelt Park Zoo’s wildlife educational program.
- Opportunities to develop new skills and be trained in a myriad of educational and zoological programs
- Although it is not required, we prefer our volunteers to become zoo members, therefore a $5.00 discount for a yearly zoo membership is offered to all of our regular volunteers.
- Must be 18 years or older, complete a volunteer application and agree to a background check.
- Must be willing to fulfill either a year-round volunteer requirement of 60 hours or 6 month spring/summer season of 30 hours. Most shifts are approximately 3 hours.
- Must be able to maintain a professional and positive attitude in a fun family environment.
- Some areas require a negative TB test
- Must be willing to work within the schedules of the volunteer’s chosen area(s).
Do you have a background in education? Do you enjoy working with children? A volunteer in this area will help prepare crafts and other materials needed to teach a class to students of various age groups. This assistant can accompany zoo staff to school classrooms or assist at the zoo and be the essential aide that helps a class run smoothly and professionally. This volunteer opportunity is available year-round and may require a negative TB test.
Promote the zoo’s mission of education and conservation thru providing the public with bio-facts and the ability to feel and look up close at certain specimens. This program runs during the summer months.
Diet Prep Aid
Assist animal care staff with diet preparation, washing dishes, preparing enrichment, exhibit preparation, and light cleaning duties. Required proof of negative TB test within the last 5 months.
Story Time Program
If you like to read to others this is the volunteering opportunity for you. It will be readuing one book a day in frontof a certain animal closure, the book will only be 15 minutes long or shorter each day. The location and book will change every week! The story time program will run during the summer months.
Buildings & Grounds
Do you love to be outdoors? Volunteers assist in the care of the zoo grounds in specific areas/habitats at the zoo. Volunteers must be able to lift 50 lbs or more. This volunteer opportunity is available year-round. Projects may include painting, fixing minor repairs, clean-up zoo grounds and miscellaneous carpentry.
Giraffe Feeding Station Assistant
You will get the romaine lettuce ready, handing out hand sanitizer, help the public in feeding the giraffe’s, and being accountable for money handling. These are all job duties that you may help with when assisting with giraffe keeping stations. This will happen twice a day during the summer hours.
Goat Encounter Program
Help with crowd control, passing out and sanitizing the brushes, make sure the animals and the public are safe. Ensuring proper animal touching. This is done once a day during the summer months.
Group Volunteering Events
Do you have a corporate group, organization, or a group of friends looing for a way to give back to the community? We always have projects to do, just contact Andrea ahead of time to arrange day and time at email@example.com
Our special events would not be possible without dedicated volunteers. RPZ and Minot Zoo Crew hold many special events throughout the year that include fun for all ages: from our Easter Egg Hunt, Boo at the Zoo, Conservation Day, World Giraffe Day as well as events for guests over 21, such as Bacon & Brew and our newest adult event, Wild Spirits. Be a part of our special event army! Some events may require the purchase of a ticket for the event itself.